Easter

Originally published: 4/16/2017 on Weebly blog


Jesus, one time, many years ago, when I was in a terrible place, you came to me. You took my hand and led me down a well. Down, down, we went, into the dark earth. At the bottom of the well you dipped a ladle into a pool of water so blue that I wondered if it was water or light. You told me to sip and when I did my terror vanished, my regret vanished, my heart warmed as golden as the summer dawn. I knew that every creature that walked, crawled, writhed, swam or flew was my sister and brother. I knew that the stars have songs to teach us. I knew that the stones are my ancestors. I knew that our earth mother continues to love us even in our ignorant arrogance. I knew that true wealth begins by giving up grasping for wealth, and I knew that sin is all about raising myself above others, and that love is not that which makes me feel comfortable, but a fire that burns away the crust on me that is committed to blame. I learned that God is a verb and love dies when it is merely spoken about and not put into action. Jesus, on this day when so many of my human sisters and brothers dress up for you, I plead with you to take us all to the well for a draught of that blue water. Teach us that salvation is for right now, not after death: redemption is about shattering my arrogance, not about memorizing holy words. Prosperity is found in compassion not in possessions. Jesus, the trees are budding, the birds are flitting and flirting, the earth is singing its warming song, calling for the new shape it wants to become. The power you spoke of, the power you carried in you and which flowed from you, is spread out everywhere upon this beautiful Mother Earth. Open our eyes so that we may see it. Open our ears so that we may hear it. Open our skin so that we may dress ourselves in a new robe. Help us value the land as much as we value our status. Roll back the stone of arrogance and the stone of despair and the stone of fear that keeps us in the dark tomb of smallness. Hold out your hand and lead us, reborn, into the bright garden.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Spiritual Power of the Receding Hairline